Re: [ontolog-forum] Free downloads from Logica Universalis

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:54:25 +0200
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<cg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:17 PM
Subject: [ontolog-forum] Free downloads from Logica Universalis    (01)

The current issue of the journal Logica Universalis contains six
articles, which can be downloaded for free from now to December 31:    (02)

    http://www.springerlink.com/content/n109547vx662/    (03)

The authors of the articles were asked to answer the following
questions:    (04)

  1. Do all human beings have the same capacity of reasoning?
Certainly, yes. All human beings endowed by the same power of intelligence.
Do men, women, children, Papuans, yuppies, reason in the same way?
Now certainly no. All according to the level of knowledge, from the guts
feeling and natural intuition to analytic/synthetic reasoning or
divergent/convergent reasoning    (05)

  2. Does reasoning evolve?
Rather devolve. The ancients did it much better.
 Did human beings reason in the same way two centuries ago?
see above.
In the future will human beings reason in the same way?
No, if enhanced by virtual reality machines.    (06)

Are computers changing our way of reasoning?
Not directly, now only the way of living. But they will create their own
mode of reasoning.
Is a mathematical proof independent of time and culture?
No. The economical needs gave birth to mathematics.    (07)

  3. Do we reason in different ways depending on the situation?
No. We reason in the same routine ways regardless the circs.
Do we use the same logic for everyday life, in physics, and in questions to
do with the economy?
No. Either the real life reasoning or specific subject formulaic reasoning.
Empirical sciences  tend to ontological/causal reasoning,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality    (08)

  4. Do the different systems of logic reflect the diversity of
     reasoning?
Rather the level of intelligence and formal knowledge.    (09)

  5. Is there any absolute true way of reasoning?
Yes. Universal/Ultimate reasoning, integrating ontological reasoning,
scientific, mathematical, logical reasoning, etc. Hardly to be reached by
human beings, if only when merged with superintelligent machines (cyber
gods).    (010)

John Sowa
_________________________________________________________________________    (011)

Contents of Logica Universalis, Volume 4, Number 2 / November 2010    (012)

Preface: Is Logic Universal?
Jean-Yves Beziau
http://www.springerlink.com/content/dv2q525590475157/    (013)

Human Rationality Challenges Universal Logic
Brian R. Gaines
http://www.springerlink.com/content/y7400543luq15pr8/    (014)

Logic and Natural Selection
Jaroslav Peregrin
http://www.springerlink.com/content/4673765064677577/    (015)

The Place of Logic in Reasoning
Daniel Kayser
http://www.springerlink.com/content/q3852284771m3521/    (016)

Is Logic Necessary?
Gregory McColm
http://www.springerlink.com/content/38n0560670460l5t/    (017)

Carnap, Goguen, and the Hyperontologies: Logical Pluralism and
Heterogeneous Structuring in Ontology Design
Oliver Kutz, Till Mossakowski and Dominik Lücke
http://www.springerlink.com/content/e170073t6676m765/    (018)