Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Breaking News: Google supports GoodRelations

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:19:05 -0500
Pavithra,    (01)

I agree that it's a poor choice of example to start an explanation,
and I wish that Peirce had used a different one.  But I was quoting
his exact words.    (02)

CSP:
>>> This syntax is so simple that I will describe it. Every word makes
>>> an assertion. Thus, *—man* means "there is a man" in whatever universe
>>> the whole sheet offers it."    (03)

JFS:
>> The dash before "man" is the "line of identity".    (04)

PK:
> First of all it is a eerie statement to read ..   It is not normal to
> eat another man unless he is a cannibal..  Cannibals are not logical.
> Are you trying to represent an illogical behavior using logic?    (05)

In some cases, such as the Donner party trying to cross the mountains
in a snowstorm or people floating in a lifeboat after a shipwreck,
it may be logical.  And I would not say that cannibals are illogical.
In some cases they are very logical, but perhaps with some dubious
starting assumptions.    (06)

Peirce wrote that tutorial in 1909, when he was deep in debt and even
contemplating suicide.  He also had some suicidal examples in a few
of his late existential graphs, but he finally died of cancer in 1914
and kept on writing up to the end.    (07)

In any case, there are other famous logicians who had contemplated
suicide, including Russell and Wittgenstein.  But both of them
managed to hold out until the end.  They had emotional disturbances,
but that did not affect their math or logic.    (08)