Re: [ontolog-forum] Model Semantics, Representation Syntax, and Systems

To: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "public-lod@xxxxxx" <public-lod@xxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:40:20 -0500
On 11/10/10 1:30 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:
On Nov 10, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Kingsley Idehen
<kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alan / John: maybe we could use this thread to arrive at obvious common
ground re. data integration and the diminishing need for a syntax level
lingua franca.
Kingsley includes me presumably because of a response to an earlier
message, not copied to this list.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2010Nov/0322.html

I think there *is* a need for a lingua franca for intercomputer
communication. But I support the idea that there should be alternative
syntaxes (as long as they can be clearly translated to the lingua
franca).
Well, that is pretty much exactly the idea behind Common Logic.  It is a semantic framework that supports an unlimited number of alternative languages -- although it does not privilege any  particular language (a.k.a., CL dialect) over any other (although the KIF-like dialect CLIF is sort of a default).

Chris Menzel

Yes!

Reply primarily to re-connect thread to the correct LOD list :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
President & CEO