Re: [ontolog-forum] Model Semantics, Representation Syntax, and Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: lod2 <lod2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:30:13 -0600
On Nov 10, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Alan / John: maybe we could use this thread to arrive at obvious common
>> ground re. data integration and the diminishing need for a syntax level
>> lingua franca.
>
> Kingsley includes me presumably because of a response to an earlier
> message, not copied to this list.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2010Nov/0322.html
>
> I think there *is* a need for a lingua franca for intercomputer
> communication. But I support the idea that there should be alternative
> syntaxes (as long as they can be clearly translated to the lingua
> franca).    (01)

Well, that is pretty much exactly the idea behind Common Logic.  It is a
semantic framework that supports an unlimited number of alternative languages
-- although it does not privilege any  particular language (a.k.a., CL dialect)
over any other (although the KIF-like dialect CLIF is sort of a default).    (02)

Chris Menzel    (03)