Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Breaking News: Google supports GoodRelations

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "architecture-ecosystem@xxxxxxx" <architecture-ecosystem@xxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:40:30 -0500
John,    (01)

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 10:23 -0500, John F. Sowa wrote:
> On 11/9/2010 1:24 AM, Alex Shkotin wrote:
> > What do we need for our information systems to communicate properly?
> > Integration? Alignment? Unification? Information system education?    (02)

<snip>    (03)

> But first order logic was *discovered* independently by Frege and
> Peirce 130 years ago, and *exact* translation between their notations
> and all the modern notations for FOL is guaranteed.
>
> Note the word 'discover'.  Frege and Peirce did not *invent* FOL.
> My comment is that FOL was standardized by an authority that is
> even higher than ISO -- namely, God.  (Please note the Bible,
> John 1,1:  "In the beginning was the logos, and the logos was
> with God, and God was the logos.")
>
> Nobody has to learn FOL, because it's buried inside their native
> language, whatever it may be.  But some notations for FOL are less
> readable than others.  That's why I recommend controlled NLs for
> many purposes.
>     (04)

Well, but for a non-burning bush origin for FOL, see: Ferreirós, José
(2001), "The Road to Modern Logic-An Interpretation", Bulletin of
Symbolic Logic 7 (4): 441–484, doi:10.2307/2687794,
http://jstor.org/stable/2687794 .    (05)

FOL turns out to be as much a human enterprise as any other.    (06)

Hope you are having a great day!    (07)

Patrick    (08)