Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Breaking News: Google supports GoodRelations

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 13:57:42 -0500
On 11/7/10 1:27 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
>> Even if Martin only published GoodRelations in RDF/XML format,
>> the conceptual schema isn't inextricably to RDF formats.
> Yes.  That's the point I was trying to emphasize.
>
> Nobody develops alternatives to good notations.  The fact that there
> are so many variations is a sign that the edict to make the XML
> serialization the normative version was a disaster.    (01)

Yes, a major disaster, as history will note accurately :-)
> People constantly say "Oh, you don't have to use it if you don't
> like it."   But making the XML serialization the normative version
> is a terrible example of a premature optimization in favor of the
> semantically least important and most trivial aspect.
>
> The first step toward a rational reconstruction of the Semantic Web
> is to demote the XML serialization of the languages to a legacy
> status.  Then sponsor a design competition for better alternatives.    (02)

+1 .    (03)

Demotion of RDF/XML is needed for sure.    (04)

HTML+RDFa,  JSON (RDF, OData) are existing examples of viable
alternatives re. normative data format. The only problem with HTML+RDFa
is that "RDF" gives the negative illusion that its an RDF/XML variant.    (05)

Kingsley
> John

Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen