Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: Re: using SKOS for controlled values for contr

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:08:55 -0500
> By 'logic' Wittgenstein meant "the study of everything subject to
> rules" (TLP 6.3). And the rules for using our language -- including
> the rules of sense and nonsense -- he called 'grammar'.    (01)

W's "definition" of logic is at best ridiculously broad.  (How a dog
must run an obstacle course at a dog sport event is highly subject to
rules -- does logic include the study of dog sports?)  It is, more
relevantly, completely out of keeping with all modern theoretical usage.
Very generally speaking, logic is the study of "good" reasoning.  In the
context of deductive logic, this means the study of *valid* reasoning,
reasoning in which inferences are necessarily truth preserving.      (02)

His definition of "grammar" doesn't fare much better.  As linguists and
logicians use the term, a grammar is (roughly speaking) an account of
*syntactic* correctness for a given language; it has nothing to do with
validity.  Validity iѕ defined in terms of truth and, hence, only first
comes into the picture when one provides a *semantics* for a language.    (03)

-chris    (04)