Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: Re: using SKOS for controlled values for contr

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:09:30 -0400
I'm include to agree with John Bottoms that "It appears you [Doug] are
using a classic, but common, definition of grammar." But I won't argue
with Doug on the strict definitions he uses. I'm all for precision and
consistency. (Would "syntax" be a more acceptable term than "grammar"?)
However I do lament the rare appearance discussions of grammar-like
rules in a forum devoted to knowledge representation. (I may be in the
wrong forum if I want that.)    (01)

The discussion between Gian Piero Zarri and Pat Hayes this past December
-- framed primarily as a distinction between binary representations and
n-ary representations -- was an interesting exception. Past discussions
of controlled natural languages almost get there, but I am uncomfortable
with English-based controlled natural languages in particular.    (02)

My impression is that the excellent work in KR done by people in this
forum (and by the people whose work they cite) is not sufficiently
leveraged in practical applications for capturing and leveraging
meaning. Software applications often explicitly identify Agents,
Actions, Inputs, Outputs -- combining concepts in [multiple variations
of] an "unnatural" syntax. That's only the beginning of many
possibilities for representing and leveraging valuable knowledge ...
unless you insist upon complete true/false decidability of complex
assertions about reality and the relationships among them.    (03)

Phil Murray    (04)

The Semantic Advantage
Turning Information into Assets
phil.murray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx