Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: Re: using SKOS for controlled values for contr

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:17:47 -0400
Doug,    (01)

It appears you are using a classic, but common, definition of grammar.
It results in a rather static definition of language that is not useful
for semantic applications. Austin's definitions of language are more
functional, although a bit primitive.    (02)

What we need is a dictionary that shows us the linguistic uses of words
that can be used with semantic applications. It should show the context
for usage, and what action should take place as a result of usage. This
follows along the work of Austin and I think many would agree with this
approach. WordNet tries to do some of this, but it is only a beginning
and relies on the reader to extract what is needed.    (03)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar    (04)