Re: [ontolog-forum] Sharing and Integrating Ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, doug@xxxxxxxxxx
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 06:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
>DF wrote.

>The word "entity" seems to me to indicate something that has an independent
>existence.  The redness of an apple, the weight of a ping pong ball, or
>the experience of the breeze brushing against my face don't seem to
>be well covered by this English word.  I have the same objection to the
>word "object".

The Entity and Objects are generally referred to the "Whole" and not necessarily  the"Parts" most of the time.  But sometimes even the parts can be objects themselves..
However people do use  "entity" and "object" in the same tone.  One more in 2D sense and other in 3D way.    I think usage of the word  "thing" is more generic, a commonly used English word  more close to what we want to refer.   But it is also not so mathematical, Computer Science or scientific... compare to "being"  which is very philosophical, and "entity" and "object" are very computer science words.

American kids have verbiage for it :
Whatchamacallit? Thingamajig ..

Probably we need to create a word for "thing" like the way this group has created the word "Ontology"..  for ontology which we used to call Analysis ? There is  always  new addition of words each day to English language..

Regards,
Pavithra