Re: [ontolog-forum] semantic analysis was do not trust quantifiers

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:10:39 -0700

Ferenc,

I would like to propose a different set of primitives; consider objects and situations as the ONLY primitives.  Both objects and situations can be further subdivided into various axes of comparison.  Some have mass, some have energy, some have locality, some have whatever other properties you prefer to postulate.

So it is the enumeration of properties that your new infant begins to learn and apply to separate those primitive objects and situations into “a kind of” partitions.  Later, seeing a new object or situation X which is somehow reminiscent to the infant of a previously encountered object or situation Y, the infant has the eureka moment of distinguishing X “is a” Y.

You can further describe other iterative and recursive rational processes by which the primitive objects and situations are observed, classified, acted on experimentally, and by which theories can be formed in the infant’s emerging consciousness and memories.

The crucial idea is to NOT start with classes, sets, or other constructions, which are not truly primitive.  The infant perceives objects, and situations (relationships among collections of objects and situations) differently as she learns more and more about these mysterious realities.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper