Re: [ontolog-forum] language vs logic - ambiguity and startingwithdefini

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 02:06:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, September 19, 2010 13:09, David Eddy said:
> Doug -
>
> On Sep 19, 2010, at 1:26 AM, doug foxvog wrote:
>
>> If the ontology is to be used to express the information in a data
>> base that has been in constant use for years, dynamaticity is not
>> so crucial.
>
> Need to question/challenge you here on "dynamaticity" (certainly a
> word I've never seen before)?    (01)

> If I'm interpreting it right it appears to mean that information in a
> database tends to be static or used for the same purpose.    (02)

The context was the need for an ontology that models a database to be
be dynamic.  I meant that there was less need for such an ontology
to be dynamic than for other cases of using an ontology.    (03)

> Unfortunately this is not true... there's a nasty practice called
> "overloading" where a single column/field/data element/attribute will
> contain data that means something different than what is expected.    (04)

I agree here.  There definitely still can be a need for the ontology
a DB being mapped into a KB uses to be dynamic.    (05)

-- doug    (06)

> A relatively new field of endeavor around databases is called "data
> profiling" (only 121,000 hits on Google... VERY new)... which means
> actually looking into ALL the data in important fields in a database
> to see what's there.    (07)

> If I were in command of the ideal world I would ensure that the names/
> labels of data thingys would actually indicate what is IN the data
> field.  Like having a jug labeled milk that actually contains milk.
> A useful habit that hasn't quite become best practice in the database
> world yet.

> David Eddy
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 781-455-0949

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (09)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.