Re: [ontolog-forum] (renamed) Terms with fixed/multiple meanings

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:53:10 -0700

Alex, Bill and John,

That WAY oversteps the reality of “at least science, technology, engineering, medicine and law”, none of which leave much basis for asserting that a single meaning is usefully occurring in those technologies.

Science – among the divergent string theorists, quantum theorists, experimental theorists, all would find the assertion of consistent meaning to be poorly based in the current science.  Heisenberg would turn over in his grave.  Even older science, e.g. Newtonian physics, is only unambiguous when you have enough constraints around the problem to filter down to a single interpretation.

But most of science today is empirical, not theoretically rich with singular explanations.  Medicine, data mining, market analysis, psychological models of behavior, all are rife with disagreement even at the level of whether the tiny amount of mercury in children’s shots causes disease.

Technology – if there were one unified metric of goodness, why are there so many different ways of building even common products like computers?  Same heat discharge, power supply life, communications radius, and other metrics are only roughly predictable using the current (I claim ontological) knowledge of how SOME things work.

Engineering – this is VERY empirical in nearly all modeling of physical systems for practical engineering purposes.  Few engineering teams can even map requirements documents into singular designs for any basic set of constraints.

Medicine and Law – try to get consistent opinions from a herd of physicians and lawyers on anything, even how to treat the common cold (e.g., consider Linus Pauling’s vitamin C assertions, the stem cell results analyses, the health care law), and how and who to sue for damages.

I find the assertion that any USEFUL ontology has to have singular meanings to be inapplicable to nearly ever discipline with deep studies behind it.  Ontologies are only BELIEVED to be singular in interpretation, but fail the test in nearly any way that is broadly useful.

So the belief that any useful ontology is singularly meaningful doesn’t hold water, IMHO.

Going back to WordNet as an ontology, add whatever extensions and intensions you wish, the antepenultimate English speaker will disagree with the penultimate one quoting the ultimate one’s statements.  So that is perfectly consistent with the practical realities of ontologies, IMHO.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper