Re: [ontolog-forum] (renamed) Terms with fixed/multiple meanings

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:04:38 -0400
Doug -    (01)

On Sep 9, 2010, at 4:18 PM, doug foxvog wrote:    (02)

> Why?  Every author of Java code uses the same meaning of "method" and
> other reserved words.  Every HTML author uses the same meaning of
> <title>.    (03)

[CONTEXT = UNNATURAL LANGUAGE WITH NO LOGIC = ON]    (04)

Now I understand    (05)

But those are the "verbs" that come with every software language.
Use them, spell them correctly or find other work.  Plus you have a
compiler looking over your shoulder.  The VERBs are documented in
manuals.    (06)

The slippery ones are the NOUNS that people more often than not make
up on the fly... makes sense to them... use it.  Very difficult to
decode 6 months or 6 years later.    (07)

My version of triples is VERB + OPERATOR + NOUN.  VERBs & OPERATORs
are controlled by the compilers... NOUNs are largely anything goes.
The differences of underscores vs dashes and UPPER vs lowercase is
just silliness & of minimal significance.    (08)

Allegedly NOUNs should be documented in mythical databases called
variously "data dictionary" or "metadata repository."   By a show of
hands, who on this list has been in an organization that has a
useful, accessible, accurate, & complete dictionary/repository where
business people, analysts, project managers & developers can easily
look up what something means?    (09)

Allegedly a field/column/data element should have a single meaning...
often they don't.    (010)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (011)

781-455-0949    (012)