[ontolog-forum] (renamed) Terms with fixed/multiple meanings

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Burkett, William [USA]" <burkett_william@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:03:21 -0400
John: I understand your point that a "term" in a formal language (e.g.,
ontology) should have a single, unique definition - this allows automated
processors to (soundly) do something with statements in the language.    (01)

It is important to point out, however, that this requirement addresses a very
small set of users "out there in web-land" - less than 1% I would guess.  The
"semantic web" will never materialize with this requirement because, simply, a
very very large percentage of data-creators don't have the understanding and
won't devote the time/rigor required to create these semantically precise
statements.  Most will create their schemas and ontologies and create their
data using their natural language skills/capabilities/facilities - leading to
multiple and evolving meanings.  So, realistically, except for a very small
population, "terms" that are used to name things in web-land *will* have
multiple meanings.   We can exclude those undisciplined cases and operate in
our own small, rigorous, well-defined world - but how useful will that really
be?  (Like everything in AI, it seems, it'll be useful in special cases, but
not in general.)    (02)

As I write this, it brings the question of scope to my mind: in our discussions
here are we ONLY interested in talking about formal ontologies with
precisely-defined semantics that can soundly reasoned over, or are we talking
about the "semantic web" (or "semantic enterprises") in general where,
presumably, we can evolve to a point where processors can do something will all
the data "out there in web-land"?    (03)

Bill    (04)