Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture - Interoperability?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 18:13:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, September 8, 2010 17:24, David Eddy said:
> On Sep 8, 2010, at 5:12 PM, doug foxvog wrote:    (01)

>> a Semantic Web needs ontologies of terms with fixed meanings    (02)

> Is this saying that a term (word, phrase, acronym, abbreviation,
> whatever) can only have a single meaning?    (03)

No, i'm not referring to whatevers.  I'm referring to terms in digital
ontologies.    (04)

> What did I miss here?    (05)

You missed that i wasn't talking about natural language.    (06)

Of course, terms in natural language have multiple meanings.  This
means that there are multiple denotations of them in ontologies which
cover more than one of their meanings.    (07)

I agree with your continuation.    (08)

-- doug f    (09)

> As I have observed before & will undoubtedly observe again...
>
> George Miller's "Ambiguous Words"   http://www.kurzweilai.net/
> ambiguous-words    offers an average of 10 meanings per (real) word.
>
> My dictionary of largely acronyms (but where's the line between
> acronym & real word... I don't have a clue) finds some 34 meanings
> per term/word.  Whittling that down to 1 meaning per term is going to
> be tough.

> David Eddy
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 781-455-0949
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              781-455-0949      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (011)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.