Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture - Interoperability?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:55:51 -0400
Matthew -    (01)

On Sep 10, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Matthew West wrote:    (02)

> The confusion arises from the different meanings of the word "term".
>
> Some of you are using it as a synonym for "word or phrase", and
> some of you
> are using it the formal sense in which it is used in logic.    (03)

Correct.    (04)

I use word, term, phrase, acronym, abbreviation, initialism, ???? as
direct or very close synonyms... since that's how I see them used.
Pretty much the same way I "file" H2O, water, steam, hail, snow, fog
& ice under the prettyCloseToSameAs location in my brain.  I don't
see any particular logic in this filing/synonym system... I just had
to learn it by brute force.    (05)

This discussion has been most enlightening... I see language used in
totally chaotic ways with minimal logic & certainly NO universal logic.    (06)

CONTEXT.... I am talking about the language used inside software
applications.    (07)

Most "documents" are stuff written to be read by other humans...
often corrected by highly skilled humans called editors to make
better sense.    (08)

I know this is crazy, but I consider software—Algol, Jovial, COBOL,
Fortran, Java, Objective-C, C, C++, PHP, etc—programs/scripts/code to
be documents.    (09)

Except these are documents that are explicitly NOT written to be read
by humans.  They're written to be read by a compiler.   While code
reviews are known to be one of the most productive activities to
improve the quality of code & skills of programmers, I think I'm on
safe ground to say most programmers & programs are NEVER run through
code reviews.    (010)

For me—speaking for all the maintenance programmers scratching their
heads about what some cryptic label means—"semantics" is the process
whereby I can easily, quickly & reliably determine that CD & CDE
actually mean the same thing (CODE).    (011)

So far I do not see how logic, formal or otherwise, can help.  I
believe it can only by definition.    (012)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (013)

781-455-0949    (014)