Re: [ontolog-forum] Language vs Logic

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:21:33 -0500
Hi Patrick --

You wrote

Figuring out precisely what a term in an ontology is supposed to mean has
three aspects: what the person developing the ontology intends it to mean;
what the person reading the documentation interprets it to mean, and what
the computer executing a program using the ontology interprets it to mean.
Ideally, the they will be the same, but they may differ.

Here's how you can get the meanings much closer together.

1.  Have the person "developing the ontology" write it in executable English

2.  Have the person "reading the documentation" read the executable English

3.  Have the computer program directly execute the executable English, guided by an underlying (and hidden) logical model theory.

4.  Have English explanations of the results available

The above capability is live online and usable from a browser [1].   It is of course a different paradigm from the

     machine-notation-ontology + documentation + application-program-in-java

approach that the community is hacking away at.  One way to think of the different paradigm is as "executable documentation", or as "computing with comments as the code".

                                             -- Adrian

[1]  Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering