Re: [ontolog-forum] Triangles and meanings.

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Black <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 01:03:31 -0400
In my opinion, expressed in more detail here: http://kashori.com/2008/11/i-may-refer-to-mans-hand-using-phrase.html, meanings result when two or more organisms or mechanisms containing nearly identical transducers come each to link a shared sign to their own internal transduction of some same part of the external world. In this view, "original intentionality", if it exists, would be this process of transduction of a shared world by populations of organisms or mechanisms with suitable and nearly identical sensory transducers. Here the "social construct" aspect of meaning is essentially replaced by the high fidelity replication of sensory apparatus during ontogony for organisms and, in the future, perhaps by statistical process control to the production of mechanisms. Once a population of organisms shares a nearly identical transduction of some same part of the world, each member can gain advantage for itself by linking that internal transduction to a sign shared with other members by some process of simultaneous _expression_ of the sign with a suitable identification of the external source of the transduction. This, of course, involves yet another set of nearly identical transductions by each member of the population. But it does not require mind, intelligence, social contract or agreement, concepts, representations or any other like constructions to function.

Pat Hayes wrote:
Um... I hesitate to open up this triadic can of worms yet again, but this might be a good place to air an issue that has bothered me for some time. It is a basic clash, or at least tension, between the various forms of what I will call 'traditional meaning triangle' and modern cognitive science.

The basic question is, where do the meanings come from? What force or principle or social construct (or whatever the hell it is) is it that gives signs their meanings? Everyone from Aristotle through Ogden & Richards to John Searle seems to agree that a critical part of any explanation of this must involve a *mind*: an interpreter or observer or intentional agent, which either (details vary) provides the meaning for the sign or perhaps embodies the meaning of the sign in some way. I don't want to get into the details of the various interpret- words, or the exegesis of the various alternative theories, but only to observe that they all seem to have this in common, that the proper account of the meaningfulness of a sign must involve a mind as part of the explanation. That is, the theories of meaning appeal to the notion of a mind as part of the account of meaning. The pithiest phrase is Searle's "original intentionality", a basic property of human minds which accounts for meaningfulness but is not itself reducible (except possibly to biology in some future extension of biological and psychological science.) Original intentionality plays the same kind of role in semiotic theory, in this view, that mass or electromagnetism play in physics: a basic 'force' to which other phenomena can be reduced but which itself has to be simply accepted as one of the building blocks of the fundamental theory.

But now turn to modern cognitive science (CS), which is the only part of science that can claim to have even modest success at accounting for the cognitive functions which exhibit intentionality. CS treats the human mind as essentially dynamic information processing in the brain, viewed (at a suitably high level of abstraction) as a kind of biological computer. Not a Von Neumann machine, to be sure, but still an information processor which operates upon internal representations in some way. Now, on such an account of intentionality, the mind itself is made up of signs. Where do these signs get their meaning from? If we turn to the triangular tradition, we need another mind to provide the meaningfulness of these internal signs, and we are immediately in a vicious regress involving nested homunculi. Aristotle through Searle appeal to a mind to explain meaningfulness of signs: CS uses meaningful signs to explain how the mind works. Their explanatory arrows go in reverse directions, and if we use them both, they form a loop. So if CS is even sketchily right - and I repeat, no other account of mentality comes anywhere close to being adequate - then something other than the traditional triangular accounts of meaning must be used to account for how the internal signs - the mental representations which constitute the mind's inner ontology, the machinery of thought - get their meaning, if indeed they have meaning. There is no other mind to appeal to.

I don't know how to resolve this problem. For myself, it amounts for me to a refutation of the traditional views of meaning, or at any rate a reduction of them to triviality. So, sorry, but Aristotle and Pierce and Searle and a whole lot of other very distinguished minds were all wrong. Searle obviously thought that it was a refutation of modern cognitive science (I use the past tense as I havn't spoken with him on this topic for a long time.) Either way, it is a serious theoretical problem for folk in our profession who are busily using both the formal techniques and the ideas of CS while relying upon the traditional triangular view of meaning and intentionality.

Comments? (Peter, if this is off-topic, please say so publicly and I will take comments off-list.)

Pat Hayes