Re: [ontolog-forum] owl2 and cycL/cycML

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:50:06 -0400
Hi Rich and All --

Rich, you wrote... negation as failure is more human like...

Indeed, relational databases, on which much of the world economy runs, use a form of negation-as-failure -- If Adrian is not in the table of employees of Englishlogickernel, then he is not an employee of said company.

Just commonsense, really.

Moreover, if you attach English sentences to predicates [1], you can help nontechnical users to know what's going on by answering the question

"Is Adrian an employee of
Englishlogickernel?"

with

"Assuming that the table lists all the employees, he is not an employee of that company"

                               Cheers,   -- Adrian

[1] Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering