Re: [ontolog-forum] owl2 and cycL/cycML

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Bernardo Cuenca Grau <bcuencagrau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 18:13:59 +0100
It is even more tricky that this. The failure in "negation as failure" doesn't
mean failure of a given algorithm, it means not provably true. There are many
decidable logics with NAF. If we have an incomplete reasoner for such a logic,
we are *still* incorrect if we take failure to return "True" as being
equivalent to "False", because the failure may simply be a symptom of the
incompleteness and nothing to do with NAF.    (01)

Simple example: I am using a logic in which negation is interpreted as NAF. I
have a simple boolean theory in which negation isn't used and which entails
A(x). I ask if A(x) is entailed. My incomplete (for entailment) reasoner
answers "False". If I treat this as entailing that A(x) is not entailed, then I
am really incorrect -- nothing to do with NAF.    (02)

In fact I think that we would be well advised to strike NAF from the record --
it's really not helpful in this discussion :-)    (03)

Ian    (04)

On 2 Aug 2010, at 17:45, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:    (05)