Re: [ontolog-forum] Plural taxonomies?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 20:16:42 +0100
Hi Deborah,    (01)

Thanks for the pointer to Omniclass, it looks interesting. It looks as
though you are dealing with the same issues we are dealing with in the
financial securities industry. The industry recognises the need to
define terms globally across a whole industry, and as such those terms
are a superset of what you would find within a single application's data
model. People in different parts of our industry use the same words in
different ways, for instance we have "Over the Counter" as a means to
sell debt securities, which are essentially contracts that can be bought
and sold, but derivatives traders use the term "Over the Counter" to
signify bilateral contracts between two parties (struck, rather than
traded, over the counter), and are often not aware of the other usage.
The ontology gives context to the term, so that it should be clear from
looking at the diagram, whether it is a diagram of a kind of bilateral
contract or not.    (02)

There is an interesting by-product of this. In order to have a model in
which each term used within the industry is modeled semantically, we
have a taxonomy with multiple inheritance, but for any one application
the data model of that application would be constrained to have a single
inheritance taxonomy. As an example, securities traders would be
intersted in the cashflow of securities since this directly affects the
cashflow of their portfolio, so they would classify things in terms of
fixed v floating interest and amortizing versus "Bullet" (single
payment) principal repayment. Meanwhile a risk management application in
the "Middle office" would be more interested in the issuer and / or the
collateralization of a security.    (03)

Here's where it gets interesting: it should be possible to formally
identify the different facets by which sub-classes of a class of thing,
as "Classification Facets" (my term, but it might catch on). What if one
could write a program that could parse those classification facet
indications, and build a single taxonomy for a given application, based
on a single facet? Then one ontology can be used to formally specify
interoperable and meaningful terms across the enterprise. The
alternative, which I suspect goes on, is when people apply the
limitations of the technology onto the ontology, which of course is
right if one is documenting the ontology of a single, existing
application, but offers no new benefits to the enterprise other than
better application documentation. Since an ontology sits at the level of
"Business Conceptual Model" in the Zachman Framework and other
development frameworks, it should of course not reflect any technical
design limitations.    (04)

In terms of your definition, I would suggest that including taxonomy in
the definition makes it circular. I would adapt Schwartz's definition to
say something like "A taxonomy is a structure which models concepts in a
domain from abstract to specific". I would also lose the word "Data"
since both a data model and a conceptual business model may embody a
taxonomy (one being of data elements, the other of real world entities).    (05)

Cheers,    (06)

Mike    (07)

--
Mike Bennett