Re: [ontolog-forum] Plural taxonomies?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 11:26:01 -0400
Mike -    (01)

On May 31, 2010, at 10:23 AM, Mike Bennett wrote:    (02)

> In the EDM Council
> semantics repository ontology, we have built the model around a
> polyhierarchical taxonomy, in order to formally model each of the
> terms
> that is considered meaningful in the industry.    (03)

I am by NO means a professional taxonomist.  I watch them.  I get
VERY nervous when I see "hierarchy" used in the context of the
concepts & terminology in & around software information systems.    (04)

How does the taxonomy/classification process handle the situation (I
assume the reality) of terms having multiple meanings?    (05)

I am thinking in the context of having worked on "a" mutual fund
system that was a continually growing combination of a core package
which had been extensively modified, extended & customized plus the
addition of at least 7 additional "systems" (both packages & custom
written) grafted onto/into the original package.    (06)

Obviously the chance of the same term meaning the same thing across
such an expanse was very close to zero.  And this was looooooong
before the concept of taxonomies being useful in information systems
came into the popular vernacular (as distinct from USE).    (07)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (08)

781-455-0949    (09)