Re: [ontolog-forum] Plural taxonomies?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 09:37:07 -0400
Deborah,    (01)

The good news is that because taxonomies are defined by the user,
you can say whatever you want about how they are used. Everyone's
language and profession varies so you have to include what is
required for your use.    (02)

That said, there are a couple of caveats. First, you always face
the possibility that someone will hold your feet to the fire
because you change the use of the taxonomy, which may differ from
the understandings of others. So, a more flexible, open definition
is preferred.    (03)

Second, you future work will be at the mercy of the tools you find
available. If you definition is outside the scope of you toolset
then some changes will be needed. To avoid problems with tools with
respect to your definition, you should have some idea how the
system will operate and what types of tools will be required.
(Always prepare for Version 2.0)    (04)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Systems
  Concord, MAA
  T:978-505-9878    (05)