Re: [ontolog-forum] Plural taxonomies?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Deborah MacPherson <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 14:28:15 -0400
For the previous question on building data

Things - in the generic sense - ie exchange models for first responders - reducing synonyms
Facts - in the project specific sense - detailed technical information

Both are needed. Hovering help would be useful when a technical terms or properties are unavoidable

Regards, Deborah

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike -

On May 31, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:

> We don't rely on words for meanings, and I see no reason why anyone
> would. Terms are either Things or Facts, and each of these has a label
> which happens to be whichever word business domain experts are most
> comfortable with, and any number of synonyms which are other words
> with
> the same meaning.

This looses me.

Best as I've experienced, humans tend to be strongly attached to
terms/words/phrases having meanings.  I am NOT in favor of using
numbers to represent meaning to humans.

Naturally a huge issue here is that I see a word, recognize it & am
comfortable with the implicit meaning.  You see the same word, which
evokes a different meaning (say "Table" in context of running a
meeting, not furniture, in American English & UK English).  We're
both comfortable with what we assume to be the meaning, but one of us
is wrong.

What I want to see is a term/word/phrase/acronym plus various
available CONTEXTUAL meanings.  In a document where there are
potentially ambiguous terms, there could be "footnotes," tags, or
"hovering help" expressing explicit meaning.

What do you mean by "Terms are either Things or Facts"?

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

781-455-0949

Deborah L. MacPherson CSI CCS, AIA
Specifications and Research Cannon Design
Projects Director, Accuracy&Aesthetics