Re: [ontolog-forum] Geographical ontology?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:11:19 -0000
Hi Erick,    (01)

We built an ontology demonstrator for UK MOD to show de-confliction of the
naming and codification of countries, regions, etc. Its purpose was to
demonstrate the naming pattern in the IDEAS foundation ontology
(www.ideasgroup.org/foundation). We extended the ontology with geopolitical
classes - mostly taken from a US Govt standard, I seem to remember.    (02)

The demonstrator is at:    (03)

http://www.modelfutures.com/software    (04)

If it looks like it's covering the types of things you want, I'll try and
dig out the ontology we used to build it from. It was all a bit
quick-and-dirty - we built the ontology, mapped in the legacy data and built
the UI in less than 10 days - but it should give you a fair idea of what's
in the ontology.    (05)

There are some slides on this that we presented at NATO -
http://www.ideasgroup.org/file_download/3/MOD+Ontology.pdf. These slides
show some of the analysis we did on the legacy data - e.g. overlap of
borders. The ontology it's based on is 4D (the IDEAS Foundation) and we'd
hoped to extend the demonstrator to show the power of 4D for modelling
changes in structure (in the case changing borders, new countries, etc.) but
we never really got to take it any further.    (06)

Cheers
--
Ian Bailey
www.modelfutures.com    (07)