Re: [ontolog-forum] Geographical ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "BEDFORD, DENISE A.D." <dbedfor3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:20:30 -0400
All,    (01)

Though not in a formal ontological format, the Getty Museum's Thesaurus of
Geographic Names is the most extensive that I have come across.  It's strength
lies in its clean definition of geographic entities, and its extensive
representation of those entities.      (02)

We fed it into an automated country classification profile, and the performance
was outstanding.  This is an example of a KOS which should be
transformed/represented as a formal ontology.      (03)

Best regards,
Denise     (04)