Re: [ontolog-forum] Inventor of the Web Gets Backing to Build Web of Dat

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:56:50 -0000
John,    (01)

I do not want to detract from the broad message (with which I agree), but
your comment (copied below) can be misinterpreted.     (02)

JS> No technology from stone carving to supercomputers has ever made
> any fundamental change in the ways that people think, talk, and behave.
> Technology might speed up and facilitate many kinds of interactions, but
it never
> changes human nature.    (03)

There is an 'orality and literacy' community that studies how information
technology and changes in the way people *think* are linked - and there is
lots of evidence that there are changes. Whether these amount to a change in
human nature is probably debatable.
A good introduction to these topics is these two books:    (04)

Orality and Literacy (New Accents)
Walter J. Ong
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415281296/qid=1132048955/sr=2-1/re
f=sr_2_11_1/202-8651759-1197416     (05)

The World on Paper: The Conceptual and Cognitive Implications of Writing and
Reading
David R. Olson
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521575583/qid=1132049013/sr=1-18/r
ef=sr_1_0_18/202-8651759-1197416    (06)

Regards,
Chris    (07)

Those
> developments began a century before the SW.
>
> There was a lot of work on technology and standards for knowledge bases,
> databases, and software specification since the 1960s.
> But the SW developers ignored that.  In fact, RDFS and OWL are a major
step
> *backwards*.  If you look at publications on knowledge representation,
there
> has been a noticeable *decline* in quality since the 1990s -- largely
because
> many of the new publications focus on syntax rather than semantics.
>
> AA> It is more politics than science "...This Institute will help
>  > place the UK at the cutting edge of research on the Semantic Web  > and
> other emerging web and internet technologies." G. Brown.
>
> I agree.  But the UK made drastic cuts in their universities recently,
which caused
> many good professors and young researchers
> to leave.   I don't know the exact amounts of the funding, but
> I suspect that they cut much more than they are adding.
>
> AA> First, it makes a big difference to invent the web of data or
>  > the web of knowledge.
>
> Those are just buzz words.  What really matters is what kinds of logics,
> ontologies, methodologies, and supporting tools become available.
>
> AA> Second, it is in the nature of humans to create something new
>  > destroying (replacing) the old things and structures. Sombart  > and
Shumpeter
> formulated this habit as a critical socal/economic  > phenomenon, dubbed
as
> "creative destruction" or rather destructive  > creation.
>
> Sometimes the new constructions are improvements, and sometimes they're
> not.  In the US during the 1950s, there was a strong push for "urban
renewal"
> and "slum clearance".  That often meant bulldozing thriving neighborhoods
of
> working class people, and putting them into "projects", which were huge
> buildings surrounded by a little fringe of grass.  Most of those projects
were
> disasters.
>
> If you look at the most successful innovations of the past decade
> -- technologies such as AJAX, Flash, and PHP or companies such as Youtube,
> Facebook, Twitter, etc. -- all of them were started by small groups of
creative
> individuals, none were based on SW technology, and none of them came out
of
> government-funded "institutes".
>
> AA> Lets hope that the Web Science is a next generation metascience,
>  > and Sir Timothy Berners Lee is going to give the world another  >
decisive
> innovation.
>
> Sir Tim was one of those creative individuals like the ones who founded
Google