Re: [ontolog-forum] Inventor of the Web Gets Backing to Build Web of Dat

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: semanticweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, semantic-web@xxxxxx
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:31:02 +0200
John Sowa wrote: "... my major complaint about the Semantic Web is that it
was "too provincial".  They completely ignored the half century of work on
software design, development, and specification that had been funded by
income from actual money-making products."
AA: What it is really missing here: standard ontology and semantics, this we
are steadily repeating for a long while now.
JS: "...I believe it is hopelessly counterproductive to put "web science"
into an isolated institute where it further reduces its contact with both
universities and industry."
AA: It is more politics than science "...This Institute will help place the
UK at the cutting edge of research on the Semantic Web and other emerging
web and internet technologies."G. Brown.
Just two things to mention.
First, it makes a big difference to invent the web of data or the web of
knowledge.
Second, it is in the nature of humans to create something new destroying
(replacing) the old things and structures. Sombart and Shumpeter formulated
this habit as a critical socal/economic phenomenon, dubbed as "creative
destruction" or rather destructive creation.
Lets hope that the Web Science is a next generation metascience, and Sir
Timothy Berners Lee is going to give the world another decisive innovation.
Azamat Abdoullaev
http://standardontology.org    (01)