Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:36:07 -0000
Pat,    (01)

Agree with a lot of what you say below, but I am having trouble working out
exactly what you mean with this.    (02)

But I
> was talking about computational ontologies. Computational ontologies are
> artifacts, written in formal logical notations. They do not simply 'have'
natural
> meanings, meanings-in-the-wild, in the way that human natural languages
are
> said to have.  They do not have intended meanings. We may intend them to
have
> a meaning, but a computational ontology is just as artificial and "formal"
(which
> is to say, "mathematical" in the sense of being mathematically described)
as any
> other artifact. And in the case of logically expressed formalisms, like
those used
> in computational ontologies, the Tarskian theory of meaning applies in a
special
> way.    (03)

My problem is with the claim that computational ontologies do not have
intended meanings, as it looks like you are saying above.
OK, it is plain that when I send someone an OWL file, that they cannot read
and check the intended interpretation (intended meaning?) in the same formal
way as they can read/check its formal semantics.
(Leaving aside mathematical objects, which can be problematic.) Surely for
most practical uses (e.g. ATM banking, missile defence, etc.) unless the
artefact does have an intend interpretation, it is not much practical use.
And one cannot argue that the intended interpretation is not something
private and subjective, it tends to be things that are public and from a
practical point of view decidable - whether the ATM dispenses £10 when asked
to, whether the radar deciphers the signal, etc. Furthermore, intended
interpretations are not alien to Tarski - did he not mainly consider
interpreted languages in his 1933 paper? So (as you well know) the notion of
an intended interpretation is not novel.     (04)

So, it would seem to me that for the artefact to be useful it needs to have
both a formal semantics and an intended interpretation. That does not stop
model theoretic reasoners ignoring the intended interpretation for their
formal work. But if every application of the ontology ignored the intended
interpretation, I cannot see what use it would be. I can see that tools for
dealing with the intended interpretation may not be as mathematical as a
logician would like, but if you want something practical ...    (05)

So, what puzzles me is that if you insist on the PatH Theory of
Computational Ontology Meaning you end up with practically useless artefacts
- something I am sure you did not intend.    (06)

Chris    (07)

And
> [...]
unprovable
> Goedel sentence.
> But we do not say that there are two kinds of number: the natural ones,
and the
> merely **mathematical** ones, and the formalized arithmetics are about the
> latter and not the former. They are all theories of the same entities, but
some
> theories capture more truths than others. It is not a matter of chalk and
cheese,
> but rather of varieties of cheese-making.
>
> Similarly for meanings. There are real meanings in the world, let us
agree. Some
> things out there really do mean something. And then there are some
theories of
> this, and Tarskian semantics is one such theory.
> It is somewhat narrow, it does not by any means capture all the nuances of
> natural meanings. But, especially when extended in the various ways it has
been
> by such folk as Kripke and Scott, it does cover a surprisingly wide range
of
> examples. And, more to the point, it is the *only* viable theory of
meaning we
> have, as far as I know.
> We have philosophical critiques of it, to be sure, but we do not have any
> alternatives to hand.
>
> You, below, contrast meanings in a "mathematical theory" (which I presume
you
> presume I was talking about) with those in a "computational ontology". But
> was talking about computational ontologies. Computational ontologies are
> artifacts, written in formal logical notations. They do not simply 'have'
natural
> meanings, meanings-in-the-wild, in the way that human natural languages
are
> said to have. They do not have intended meanings. We may intend them to
have
> a meaning, but a computational ontology is just as artificial and "formal"
(which
> is to say, "mathematical" in the sense of being mathematically described)
as any
> other artifact. And in the case of logically expressed formalisms, like
those used
> in computational ontologies, the Tarskian theory of meaning applies in a
special
> way.
> Not only is it *a* theory of their meaning, indeed the only one we have,
but
> Goedel proved that for these formal logics, it is an exactly correct
theory of
> meaning. That is the content of the completeness theorem: something is
> provable from O precisely when what it means according to the Tarskian
theory
> of meaning is entailed (according to the same theory) by the sentences in
O. This
> is, to emphasize, a provable fact about any FOL-based computational
ontology.

> One can say, this ontology O does not capture all my intended meaning,
> speaking of natural meanings in the wild. Of course, this may well be the
case,
> and may well be a legitimate critique of any formal theory of anything in
nature.
> But what one cannot legitimately claim is that (by virtue of being
computational
> instead of mathematical, or by some other mysterian magic) a *formal*
> ontology captures more meaning, or a different kind of meaning, than the
> meaning assigned to it by the Tarskian account, by virtue of its logical
or
> computational properties.
>
> And what I said, which you quote below, regarding primitives, is a factual
> observation about a provable consequence of the Tarskian theory of meaning
> applied to any ontology expressed in any formal assertional logic. I was
not
> talking about mathematical theories in particular, and certainly not in
contrast
> to 'computational ontologies'.
>
> Your point in response, I take it, is that you include, as part of the
meaning-
> capturing machinery of an ontology the human-readable commentaries which
> state in English the intended meanings of the formally expressed concepts.
Well,
> [...]
> > Woods.
> > John Sowa replied (Feb. 13, 2010) that:
> > [JFS]> " In short, procedural semantics in WW's definition is exactly
> > what any programmer does in mapping a formal specification into a
> > program."
> >
> > I agree that computer programmers interpret meanings of ontology
> > elements using their internal understanding as a wetware
> > implementation of "procedural semantics".  This does not exhaust the
> > matter, though, because computers now can perform some grounding by
> > interaction with the world independent of computer programmers in this
> > sense: though their procedures may be specified by programmers, those
> > procedures can include functions that themselves perform some of the
> > "procedural semantics" processes, and the computers therefore are not
> > entirely dependent on the semantic interpretations of programmers, at
> > least in theory.  For the present there are probably few programs that
> > have the capability of independently determining the intended meanings
> > of the terms in the ontology, but that is likely to change, though we
> > don't know how fast.  I will provide one example of how this can
> > happen: an ontologist may assert that the type "Book"
> > includes some real-world instance such as the "Book of Kells" (an
> > illuminated Irish manuscript from the middle ages, kept at a library
> > in Dublin).  With an internet connection, the program could (in
> > theory) check the internet for information about that instance, and to
> > the extent that the computer can interpret text and images, perform
> > its own test to determine if the Book of Kells actually fits the
> > logical specification in the Ontology.
> > The same can be done for instances of any type that are likely to be
> > discussed on the internet.
> >
> > So, if we want the meanings of terms in an ontology to remain stable,
> > and
> > **don't** want the meanings to change any time some remotely related
> > type appears in a new axiom,
>
> But we DO want this! Surely that is the very point of changing and adding
> axioms. If meanings are stable across theories, then what is the point of
adding
> axioms to capture more meaning? Apparently, whatever meaning you are going
> to have after the addition was already there before. I presume it was
there
> when the ontology had no axioms at all, in fact: for if not, which
addition, in the
> long process of growing the ontology, created or introduced it? It would
seem
> to follow that  all ontology meanings are already present in an empty
ontology.

> This is obvious nonsense. You are confusing the intended meaning, the
natural
> meaning we are seeking to capture in O, with the *actual*,
theory-justified
> meaning that O can be said to have by virtue of its ontological structure.
The