Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:54:15 -0500
Pat Hayes wrote:
>>There are real meanings in the world, let us
>>agree. Some things out there really do mean something.    (01)

Pat,
I'm not sure why you expressed it the way you did but I have
a different view of meanings. Perhaps you were being prosaic
and if so then please bear with me. The forum has a wide range
of views and some people are working on different types of
intelligence from others.    (02)

To me meanings don't occur in the world, they occur in the mind.
We as a culture, get bored if we are not surrounded with potential
meanings so we stack outselves up in cities and surround ourselves
with media and literature to make sure our minds are kept busy.
So as individuals we are bombarded with potential_meanings every
day and we select those that meet our criteria for inclusion in
our ontology. If we were out in a desert then there would be fewer
potential meanings and we would focus on just those few that would
ensure our survival. So, potential_meanings are defined within an
environment or context.    (03)

It seems to me that we should speak clearly and identify our
assumptions in the discussions here in this forum. I would prefer
that people identify what types of assumptions they have about
intelligent systems when they make broad statements that may or
may not apply to each.    (04)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Networks
  (Formerly Taunton Engineering Inc.)