Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:58:34 -0600
>   I am well aware that for each new axiom added to an ontology, some logical
>inferences derived from input assertions will change.      (01)

Careful there.  Classical logic, as the logicians like to say, is *monotonic*.
Intuitively put, in classical logic, knowledge only grows; learning something
new cannot lead you to revise what you have already deduced.  A bit more
exactly: In classical logic, adding a new (nonredundant) axiom only gives one
the power to prove things that one couldn't prove before.  The inferences one
could make without the axiom will not change with its addition; nothing that
was provable without the axiom will cease to be provable with the addition of
the axiom.      (02)

-chris    (03)