Re: [ontolog-forum] MVC

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:57:13 -0500
Duane -

On Feb 23, 2010, at 2:45 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:

It comes down to the fact that code is art.

Agreed.

I cringe whenever I hear "software engineer" particularly when
someone delivers it with a straight face.

there are firm metrics for what is good.

Such as?

I'm familiar with "lines of code" that most every one around code
uses & is useless.

There's Function Points (FP) which normalizes work done across
languages (e.g. 200 lines of Assembler is 4 lines of COBOL... crudely), but
as far as I know has never really caught on.

There's McCabe's Cyclic Complexity (?), but I've never found anyone outside
the Pentagon umbrella who's heard of it, much less used it.

Are we going to have an ontology "metric?"