Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:49:17 -0800
To highlight this statement:

On 2/15/10 8:06 AM, "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

MW: But no amount of logic can capture *all* the meaning of a term. There is
still the model theory and the intended interpretation that is beyond logic.

This is probably more to do with pragmatics that semantics, however I would point out that almost everyone on this list knows that email is a much less effective (from a complete meaning metric) manner of communicating between humans.  I believe the same applies to both combinations of terms as well as single terms.   If I just wrote:

“Keep it up”

At the bottom of someone else’s statement, it could be construed as either encouragement or a threat without the context of secondary data.  In a face to face interaction, stating the same three words while smiling and patting someone on the back would be less ambiguous.  If I yelled “keep it up” while raising my fists to someone, that could (or at least should) be interpreted as Canadian style Ice Hockey.

Note that individually, each term in the sentence is still easy to define.

Duane

---
Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Architecture - http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/
My TV Show - http://tv.adobe.com/show/duanes-world/