Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:14:51 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

Yes, but that's OK.    (02)

>   1. There is no such point that is "just enough" for *all*
> applications.
>      Cyc, for example, has found that no matter how much knowledge they
>      have formalized over the past 26 years, they can't get up to a
>      level that is "enough".  Every new application requires more.    (03)

MW: What this does is change the problem slightly from actually having an
ontology that does capture everything, to having an ontology that is easily
extensible when things are found that are beyond its current scope. This was
one of the aims of ISO 15926. Not to define everything, but to provide a
framework within which anything could be added, and then not any way you
like, but within the 4D paradigm to achieve consistency.    (04)

MW: Another thing that falls out from this is how you deal with context. By
this I mean what is left implicit. Making the context explicit becomes
increasingly important if you want to adopt this approach.

>   2. But for any given set of applications, it is not too difficult
>      to formalize just enough for those applications.    (05)

MW: Doing this for a known set of applications is relatively easy. The
challenge is to enable arbitrary addition of applications.    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (09)