Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:40:58 -0500
A response to Rob Freeman:    (01)

[RF] >
> P.S. Pat C. I'm aghast at how you reconcile this comment:
>
> "In these discussions of the principles of an FO and a proposed FO
> project,
> not only has there been no technical objection to the feasibility of an
> FO
> to serve its purpose..."
>
> With this one:
>
> Pat C: "I do not know how to prove that *every* pair of incompatible
> theories can be specified by axioms using some common set of agreed
> terms.  To make the FO project worth funding, don't think it is
> necessary to prove that *mathematically*, but if we can conclude that
> exceptions would be rare..."
>
> Perhaps there is something in the words "to serve its purpose" which
> has completely changed the words "foundation ontology" so that they
> now mean something which makes the two compatible?
>    (02)

The FO is the ontology of basic concepts, terms, things, that is used to
specify the meanings of all of the domain ontologies that use the FO for
interoperability.  I know of no way to prove mathematically that no one will
ever think up a new concept whose meaning cannot be specified (to the domain
ontologist's satisfaction) solely as combinations of the terms in the FO.
In such cases, new elements (call them "primitives" or anything else you
like) will be add to the FO so that the new ontology's domain terms can also
be specified as combinations of FO terms.
  What this means is that we cannot prove mathematically that any given FO
will provide prefect interoperability for all *new* domain ontologies. But:
(1) it will provide accurate interoperability for all domain ontologies that
have at any given time been mapped to the FO;
(2) it will provide more accurate interoperability than any other method I
have seen suggested.    (03)

  I hope that the meaning of the FO is clearer now.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416