Re: [ontolog-forum] rant on pseudoscience

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rob Freeman <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:36:06 +1300
John,    (01)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:33 AM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have read many of Chaitin's publications, and I agree that he has
> a talent for making complex discussions enjoyable.  But he never
> confuses mathematical issues with claims about the physical world.    (02)

Here's a excerpt from Chaitin's "Randomness in Arithmetic and the
Decline & Fall of Reductionism in Pure Mathematics" (EATCS Bulletin,
No. 50 (June 1993), pp. 314-328, Lecture given Thursday 22 October
1992 at a Mathematics - Computer Science Colloquium at the University
of New Mexico, http://www.umcs.maine.edu/~chaitin/unm.html.)    (03)

<<<
5. Experimental mathematics
Okay, let me say a little bit in the minutes I have left about what
this all means.    (04)

First of all, the connection with physics. ...

I'll reply to your comments about Stephen Wolfram's "computational
irreducibility" in the "Can Syntax become Semantic" thread.    (06)

-Rob    (07)