Re: [ontolog-forum] rant on pseudoscience

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:55:46 +0200
Lainaus "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (01)

> What Chaitin called quasi-empirical is closely related to what
> Wolfram called computationally irreducible.  Following is a note
> I wrote in a different thread.    (02)

Hilary Putnam uses the term quasi-empirical with at least slightly
different meaning in [1]. For example, calculus can be taken as
quasi-empirical mathematics: it works perfectly with or without any
mathematical proofs of it, although empirical proofs are available.    (03)

Of course, the availability of a mathematical proof does not harm
anybody, especially if the proof is constructive and does not appeal
to anything transfinite. When calculus is 'proved' by using
infinitesimals and/or the limit procedure (in the sense that something
that is infinitely far is reached), I don't consider that that sort of
a proof makes calculus any more reliable.    (04)

Avril    (05)

[1] Hilary Putnam. What is Mathematical Truth? Historia Mathematica 2,
1975, p.529-543. Reprinted in [2] p.49-65.    (06)

[2] Thomas Tymoczko: New Directions in the Philosophy of Mathematics:
An Anthology. Princeton University Press, 1998.    (07)