Re: [ontolog-forum] if you cannot measure

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:34:11 -0500
Ferenc -

On Dec 30, 2009, at 2:01 PM, FERENC KOVACS wrote:

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/

A couple of quick points:

- there doesn't seem to be much depth in acronyms/abbreviations/odd spellings  (IBM is given as International Business Machines... what about International Brotherhood of Magicians or Italian by Marriage?   ISSL (my favorite cryptic acronym is not there)  "MIT" only gives Massachusetts Institute of Technology... what about "male impotence test"?    "cc" returns 2 definitions... I have 298 in my prototype dictionary)

- I can't add terms/words or meanings

- I can't leave a record of which meaning I used in a certain context.

- why would I want to go all the way to the Internet when I have the OAD (Oxford American Dictionary, free with the operating system) on my computer, just a right-click away?

My point/complaint is... dictionaries are WONDERFUL things, but we have to move away from the constraints of the printed page, committees of lexicographers & minefields of ontologists.  This hyperdictionary is simply an HTML version of the printed page.

There are huge swaths of language that I use on a daily basis that would make lexicographers livid, ontologists go mad & are extremely difficult to find in easily findable, useful dictionaries.  Example of that last point... in more than one computer dictionary (hyperdictionary too!) I've seen "CICS" defined (yeah riiiiiight) as "customer information control system."  100% accurate & totally useless.