Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologist Aptitude Test? - measuring ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:58:45 -0500
Chris,    (01)

> You may be interested in Kuhn's paper - Kuhn T. S. 1961. The function of
>measurement in modern physical science. Isis 52(168), 161-193.    (02)

Thank you for the reference, and to Hervé Panetto for the link to the paper.  I
have not finished reading it, but it has been interesting and informative.    (03)

> ...innovators and early adopters have the vision to see the benefits without
>detailed measures...    (04)

And I am whole heartedly thankful that I have the opportunity to pursue being
an innovator and early adopter in a business and business climate that has
become almost entirely consumed by establishing a direct and causal
relationship between any and all activity and "the bottom line".    (05)

> So John has a very good point, one backed up by the history of science.    (06)

The kind of testing and measurement that is the subject of this thread is about
psychometrics, not the physical sciences, more specifically the suitability and
perceived value of a person and their skills for a particular role.   So I'm
sure it's a good point, well supported and justified, just not relevant. (In
fact there is an entire Internet mime about throwing facts into an argument and
throwing it off course [1]).    (07)

As badly maligned the concept of "intelligence test" has become (probably
because it was so mis-aligned at its onset), and how poorly some tests are
designed and administered, testing continues to happen and the results of those
tests are used in both judgment and guidance.    (08)

> The lesson I took away is that we are at the stage of developing new
>measurement techniques rather than using existing measurement techniques to
>make a case.    (09)

Good luck with that.  My take is that John is being obstreperous to goad me
into explaining myself more succinctly, to whit I soldier on.    (010)

Joel
[1]
http://mystarbucks.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/the_cat_is_pushing_a_watermelon_out_of_a_lake.jpg    (011)