Re: [ontolog-forum] Form and content

To: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "sean barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:09:47 -0000
Adrian,

    I believe the short answer is no - it is a result of one of Godel's theorems. I guess the starting point here is "Some Metamathematical Results on Completeness and Consistency", 1930:

"If to the Peano axioms we add the logic of Principia Mathematica (with the natural numbers as the individuals) together with the axiom of choice (for all types) we obtain a formal system S for which the following theorem's hold:
I : The system S is not complete: that is, it contains propositions A for which neither A or NOT A is provable..."

I don't know the area well enough to say at which point non-completenss comes in, whether it is the axioms of Principia Mathematica or the axiom of choice, or even just Peano's axiomatisation.

Regards,

Sean Barker,
Bristol