Re: [ontolog-forum] Just What Is an Ontology, Anyway?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:33:32 -0000

Dear Bill,

>MW: Ontology is about modeling  how things are in the world, not how  we talk about them.

But Matthew: You can’t get away from using natural language to create and talk about ontologies

MW: Yes, but that does not mean that ontologies are of the things we say, rather than of the things we are talking about.

– from which I conclude that ontologies naturally inherit the vaguarities of language.

MW: Not really, I agree that natural language is inescapable – we use it as a way of pointing to the intended interpretation of a term, but as I said above, that does not mean that it is the words we are using  that we are ontologising, but what they point to.

The ideal that you’re striving for - *a* ontology for *the* real world just isn’t possible because (1) we’re bound by and limited by the natural languages we use to communicate and (2) software applications need data tailored to their particular purposes, which means localized semantics, which means applications developers don’t want to (or simply won’t) be hamstrung by a corporate ontology.

MW: When did I say that was what I  was striving for?

Besides: who is any of us to say how things *are* in the world.  All we can realistically do is express our view of them.

>MW: The alternative is to document all the individual ontologies and map between them. This is horrendously expensive,

>so a much cheaper alternative is to sit down and agree to use one in a particular way, which may not be the way that any

>of the individuals actually sees things, but at least is clear.

It’s not as expensive as you might think.  The mapping and translation simply hasn’t received the clear focus and attention it really needs and deserves; once it does, mapping and translation will be a lot easier and cheaper and adaptable.

MW: Then a fortune awaits you.

(And if you use STEP as an example of what you think mapping is, can, or should be, I’d suggest thinking again.)

MW: I’m not sure there is much I would STEP as an example of except perseverance – that’s not fair, the geometry is good.

I personally think it’s more expensive in the long run to continually haggle over the meaning and evolution of a common model

MW: I’m actually not stuck on one common model, but I think a few might be practicable.

– how much as STEP cost over these years?  (A horrendous amount, I dare say.)

>This is at least analogous to the situation you find when an Italian, and Frenchman,

>a German and a Spaniard have a business meeting. They speak English, rather than each have 3 translators.

It is analogous, yes, but there are three translators: each one has a personal translator in his head that converts the language to his internal meaning.

MW: Indeed precisely my point 3 instead of 3!

You can’t get away from the fact of “personal ontologies”, or at least the personal, idiosyncratic views of the world embodied in databases.

MW: Yes, but I would still want to map them to each other via one or a few ontologies, rather than one-to-one.

Some kind of mapping and translation will always be necessary and I think robust adaptable solutions need to make it an essential element of the solution architecture.

MW: I agree with  that. However, the  last time I looked the cost of interfaces was anything from 25-70% of the cost of new systems. I’d like to see that come down rather than go up.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 560 302 3685

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.