Re: [ontolog-forum] Just What Is an Ontology, Anyway?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Burkett, William [USA]" <burkett_william@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:31:53 -0400
Thanks for the clarification, Chris,    (01)

>What I would not agree with (and what I believe Bill was alluding to with his
>reference to Kant)
>is that the source of our uncertainty about the world is that there is simply
>no objective world
>to be known in the first place; that, in some sense, we create the world, we
>give it its shape and structure.    (02)

If this was Bill A's message, it eluded me entirely.  My Kant is a little weak.
 (Okay - virtually non-existent - I know Kant wrote "Critique of Pure Reason"
(and I actually own a copy!) but my knowledge stops there.)    (03)

As for this being the source of my position, no - that's not the case.  I like
John Searle's case for existence of an objective world that is independent of
our conception of it.      (04)

>Hey, for philosophy humor, that's pretty good!  It's a pretty rare thing. :-)    (05)

Thanks.  My favorite (stop me if you've heard it before ;-)) is the story of
Descarte in sitting in café.  The waiter approaches him and asks M. Descarte if
he'd like dessert.  Descarte reflects for a moment and responds "I think not" -
then poof! - disappears in a puff of logic!    (06)

Bill    (07)