Re: [ontolog-forum] Just What Is an Ontology, Anyway?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Godfrey Rust <godfrey.rust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Burkett, William [USA]" <burkett_william@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:38:13 -0400

> Correct.  All I was objecting to was the usual move I perceived (the other) Bill of making,

>which is to toss out some kind of Kantian argument against the possibility of ontology.

Am I the other Bill?  I said that?  No, I didn’t.  You’re running with an interpretation of my statement that wasn’t intended.  You Kant do that to me!  ;-)

When I said:  “Besides: who is any of us to say how things *are* in the world.  All we can realistically do is express our view of them.

I wasn’t questioning the value of either ontology or science.  While science is “an _expression_ of our view of the world”, the whole practice of science has made it very valuable _expression_ of how things “are” – so much so that we can get on a plane with a high degree of comfort, confidence, and security.  Yes, we have granted “license”, as you say, to scientists and engineers to interpret how things “are” in the world – and success of science/engineering gives us the confidence to do so.  But it’s all just a model that has worked objectively and repeatable-ly within our realm of experience.

My point is that there is an unavoidable and inherent subjectivity to all expressions of how things “are” in the world (to a greater or lesser extent depending on how the _expression_ was created) and it’s a misguided to think that one can unequivocally assert how things “are”.

Bill