Re: [ontolog-forum] .social networks semantics

To: paoladimaio10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug McDavid <dougmcdavid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 03:54:42 -0700
And just wait til you add virtual worlds (like Second Life) to the mix.  This goes from social to hyper-social!

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
. It is
interesting to notice how the semantics of FB features differs from the
intended semantics, as people use it in more and different ways.

Interesting point Mike. I have avoided fb and twitter for a while, until one day some marginal utility came about on one occasion, then
all these people came up that I had met one time or other, and ended up signing up to all of them (still havent signed up to tripit but guess will do sometimes)

I use them to keep in touch with everyone with minumal effort, and today I feel that they are a great life support, especially considering that we dont have the resources to
nurture every single personal relationship we would like to. I have reconneccted with old acquaintances, and made new ones, very important: I exchange very valuable knowledge on the fly, with minimal commitment

(I dont distinguish between personal and professional sphere that much anymore, I don mind my work contact seeing my holiday snaps,  but some still do)

Your mention about the semantics is really interesting.

One day i was thinking loud on my twitter about  'its okay to be dysfunctional sometimes' and within hours I was followed by some improbable connections, whose
only semantic relation to my profile was that we both had the word dysfunctional' somewhere in our respective web resources . that was really fun thing to watch
I later received an invitation to the 'mental health festival in my neighborhood, but not sure if that mention or something else I said was the connection.

it happens all the time, that I use a word in a tweet (echoed in my fb) and multiple connections appear that associate that word in a different context, and of course
I do get some of spammers who target my social networks profile mainly to promote their stuff, rather than to cultivate a social relation of sort

It is also  distracting to have all these inputs, so that periodically I have to switch everything off and try to concenrate on the one thing I am trying to do
 but not more distracting than having 100 television channels, with the difference that these social media are highly interactive
- its not just some broadcaster shoving stuff down my channel, its total interaction all around, exchanging clips, links, music, news, etc

It adds enourmously to the infoglut, but overall for me the balance is positive, I gain massive insights from a digital ecosystem point of view

I signed up to the fb, wheres the linkedin?

cheers

PDM

Mike

Peter Yim wrote:
> Thank you, Doug. Point well taken.
>
> Charley and I were discussing this too, and he specifically intended
> for this (Facebook presence) to be more of a "funnel" to provide us
> exposure, rather than another "workspace" or "work environment" that
> we want to delve into. I think he has a point. If exposure is our
> principal purpose, we could (should?) even try doing on more just just
> Facebook.
>
> I should also take the opportunity to recognize the fact that back in
> April 2007, Ed Dodds did point out to me (offline) that there were
> already over 150 Ontolog members on LinkedIn (I have to admire his
> data-mining skills!) and suggested we take advantage of the "Linkedin
> for Groups" feature that creates some sort of affinity group among
> members of this community. ... Regretfully, I did not take him on
> then, nor put it up for discussion.
>
> ... I guess, this is as good a time as any.
>
> Thought, comments, ... anyone?
>
> Best regards.  =ppy
> --
>

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Doug McDavid <dougmcdavid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I made the point to Peter that LinkedIn might be a more professional place to host this
>> than Facebook.  This is from a perspective of enthusiasm for setting up this kind of
>> network, and to derive maximum benefit from the good efforts going on.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Doug McDavid
>> --
>>
>> Doug McDavid
>> dougmcdavid@xxxxxxxxx
>> 916-549-4600
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM, White, Charles P (172G) <charles.p.white@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Do you have a Facebook account? If not, that’s ok, but there are many millions of
>>> people joining Facebook from around the world. Peter and I would like to announce
>>> the official Ontolog-Facebook Group (Ontolog-FB). The purpose of this group is
>>> simply to make first contact with people searching for Ontology or Semantic web
>>> keywords in Facebook.  Although there is a discussion board capability in the
>>> group, the main venue for discussion shall continue to be [ontolog-forum] and
>>> other project mailing lists and our other community forums
>>>
>>> If you have a facebook account, please feel free to join the Ontolog group.
>>>
>>> Link:  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=184463208664&ref=mf
>>>
>>> My Account: http://www.facebook.com/Jet.Burns?ref=name
>>>
>>> By the way: The photograph is from my vacation to Alaska's Hubbard Glacier,
>>> and I chose this photo because of the relationships I see in the ice, color,
>>> movement, rock, sky and sea. Not only that, but I own the image so that
>>> takes care of the legal stuff. :)
>>>

>>> V/r Charles
>>>

>>> Charles P. White, Enterprise Systems Analyst
>>> Virtual Worlds for Engineering and Science
>>> Office of the Chief Information Officer Group 172G
>>>
>>> JPL Knowledge Management Team
>>> NASA Synthetic Environments Research Team (NISER)
> [...]

Mike Bennett
Director
Hypercube Ltd.
89 Worship Street
London EC2A 2BF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7917 9522
Mob: +44 (0) 7721 420 730
www.hypercube.co.uk
Registered in England and Wales No. 2461068

--
Paola Di Maio

Doug McDavid
dougmcdavid@xxxxxxxxx