Re: [ontolog-forum] When to use pure subclassing and when to use subclas

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:29:22 -0400
Garz,
   I am not quite clear about the question, and the distinctions you are
making.   Every subclass merely picks out of some parent class instances
that have specific properties.  So you cannot have in a subclass properties
that are not also in the parent class, but you can *require* that the
instances of the subclasses have a specific property, even if that property
is not "mentioned" (i.e. not required) for every instance of the parent
class.    (01)

  The term "intersection" is usually used to refer to an intersection of
classes - the intersection is the class of entities, each of which is an
instance of both parent classes.  That intersection is a subclass of each of
the parent classes.  If you have a class of "RedThings" (anything that is
red) and a class of "Wines" and you define a class of "RedWines" it could be
a subclass of both RedThings and of "Wines", and would be the same as the
intersection of "RedThings" and "Wines", unless you also add other
restrictions to the "RedWines" class.  [[ this is a bad example, because
colors are too heterogeneous in application for "RedThings" to be a useful
class]].  You seem to be using "intersection" in a different sense.    (02)

  Perhaps you could give a more specific example of what you would like to
do.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.