Re: [ontolog-forum] The DIKW Hierarchy issue(s)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:11:26 -0400
Ron,    (01)

I enthusiastically agree.    (02)

RS> Long ago, teaching information systems at the London School
 > of Economics, I insisted that my students take care using the
 > vague terms “data”, “information” and “knowledge” and I joked
 > that some nutter would soon be writing a paper about wisdom
 > as the next level of analysis...
 >
 > What I taught instead was a kind of hierarchy based on semiotics
 > and it has turned out to be quite popular among alumni who use
 > it in practice.    (03)

My only qualification is that I prefer Peirce to Popper, but
Popper isn't bad -- he reinvented some of Peirce's stuff.    (04)

I also like Wittgenstein, who got into a bit of a "poker"
battle with Popper, who said    (05)

    "Thou shalt not threaten guest speakers with a poker."    (06)

On that point, I sympathize with Wittgenstein.  Although I
never took action, I've heard guest speakers who deserved it.    (07)