Re: [ontolog-forum] The costs and benefits of research (and the grammar)

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:27:16 -0400
Actually, the order of the co-agents in that sentence was quite deliberate.
Though "I" is supposed to follow other subjects in normal discourse out of
politeness, in this specific situation the co-workers do not yet exist (have
not yet been identified) so, semantically it would be quite odd to speak for
non-existent people and defer to their sensitivities.  Note the use of the
subjunctive "would" - meaning - if those co-workers someday materialize.    (01)

You get nuance like that depending on the intended meaning.  Sometimes I
refer to a company as "it", sometimes as "they" depending on whether I am
thinking more of an abstract entity or of the people who speak for it.    (02)

And of course, in other languages different customs apply.  In English "I"
is capitalized, and "you" is lower-case.  In Russian, it is the reverse for
the Cyrillic equivalents.    (03)

It's hard enough for people to detect such nuances in ordinary discourse,
but fortunately the task of semantic integration of databases and most
information extraction does not require the inference of subtle attitude
variances.    (04)

To get to the point where the machines have a shot at detecting nuance, I
think it is well to try to get the more objective information encoded well.
That should form a good base camp from which we can try to scale the
heights.    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.