Re: [ontolog-forum] Guo's word senses and Foundational Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:51:13 +0100
I would have thought Agreement was a legal thing, along with
jurisdiction, law and so on. Whether one calls it upper, mid or whatever.    (01)

There are I agree much more general things - the framework. And maybe a
very general concept of agreement (with no legal standing) belongs
there, that's a good point. It's a question of where you draw the boundary.    (02)

A simple test I think is whether you have something that has no
properties to speak of, or at least the basic minimum that are possible
(an agreement must have more than one party for example). These, once
worked out, would be something that the "top" of an individual industry
vertical ontology would be linked to, rather than directly to "Thing"
(what I call the Pizza approach, whereby the pizza tutorial example has
Pizza, Topping and Base all directly as child classes of "Thing").    (03)

A good ontology development method would recognise the existence or
potential existence of good, standardized terms within some established
framework, and also would direct the modeler to find and link to common
terms from the legal, numerical, geographical etc. standards as well.    (04)

Mike    (05)

--
Mike Bennett
Director