Re: [ontolog-forum] Guo's word senses and Foundational Ontologies

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 05:54:09 -0400
Just on one point:
> [MW] Yes, but I repeat what I said to John. Those things that are truly
> foundational are unavoidable in practically any domain, and are in any
> case quite small.    (01)

Yes, I suspect the same.    (02)

> I rather think the mileage is in filtering out domains and
> parts of domains that are not of interest to the problem at hand. But
> maybe we have slightly different ideas of what an upper ontology/
foundation
> ontology is.

Probably true.  In representing the concepts in the Longman defining
vocabulary, most of the effort goes into specifying social concepts, which
would not be needed in most industrial applications.  They get more useful
for things like law.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.